About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Thursday 14 February 2013

Mice Star Log Date 33.

02 02 13.  A fabulous pootle around Brighton. 30 miles, top speed 19 mph, average speed 11 mph. A train from Victoria Station where I found British Airways giving away free flights to Trinity and Tobago every 15 minutes to those who best landed an assimilated aircraft. Very creative competition I thought.

My happy mood was smashed somewhat by a complete jobsworth on Southern Railway. Why is it necessary to assume that everyone walking towards them is a criminal rather than a customer? The ticket person tried to shut the gate on my bike - well either dont let me in or do but dont trap me with the gate shouting "Ticket" at me - manners would work wonders. A Customer Service Refresher Course would definitely put their staff on the right track (pun intended). 
  
Once on the train, I sat down to take in the views and 50 minutes later I was in Brighton with George and Sahar for a pootle and a catchup as we havent seen each other since early December. We cycled straight down to the sea shore, waved at Gregs as we made our way down Madeira Drive to the marina. As we stopped outside McDonalds we realised the last time we went in one was on LonJoG! (*LonJoG - a fabulous ride in 2012 from Hyde Park Corner, London to John O'Groats).
 


We went past it tho' on to Cafe Rouge where Eggs Benedict and coffees were consumed amongst chit chat and laughter. The day took a temporary turn for the worse as they made me walk round the harbour wall. I don't do walking, I'm from London..!! 
The views were stunning tho and we saw that species of course fisherman sitting by umbrellas doing their best to catch their European Quota.  We of course we dressed for cycling, not fishing!

Back to our bikes and we cycled westwards along the cycle path all the way to Worthing. It was flat, some of the drivers clearly don't ride bikes and the sooner the cycle path is reinstated by the old pier the better (and more obvious) it will be. 


The wind was in our faces, the air was cold but the sky blue. Coffee and cakes in Worthing which caused confusion as it was 3pm and lunch hadn't happened. Then I realised this was a halfway stop so coffee and cake was perfect! Oh what it is to be a cyclist! 

We cycled back to Brighton pushed along by the wind that was no longer our foe but our friend.




The sun was dropping to the horizon, the light was absolutely stunning. The best time of day to be on a bike by the sea and I couldnt stop taking photos of it. It was so beautiful.
 
Into West Street which apparently is the place for clubbing or indeed beersies after an FNRttC to Brighton but is definitely the place to eat as we found Preto, a Brazilian restaurant which I highly recommend. We stuffed our faces for £20 eat as much as you can either meat or vegetarian buffet. 

Time flew by and the next thing I knew we were haring to the station with two minutes til the train left! Just made it in time. So as I headed to London still wearing my cycling helmet even though people boarding the train looked not unlike the people The Fridays see spilling or rather staggering out of night clubs on FNRttCs in the early hours of the morning. But on the train to London they seem sober!! 

A great day - fab to see you George and Sahar - Thank you.

What we Wore:  I wore lycra leggings under a black mini skirt with an Assos baselayer and Gore Oxygen jacket. Sahar wore leggings (non lycra) and a being woollen dress under a thick woollen coat. Leather calf length boots with thick socks. George war lycra shorts under jeans with an Assos baselayer and bomber jacket. 

What would you wear I wonder?  Not many miles but needed to be warm when the wind blew.

No comments:

Post a Comment