About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

What bike?

It doesn't matter what kind of bike you have as long as it's in good working order, that it's the right size for you, it doesn't weigh a ton (an important factor in my opinion!) and you have suitable storage for its value.  

That is to say a runaround bike can be left outside, locked up to something for half a day but a more expensive bike should live inside, locked to something. Sadly bike theft is something that happens far too often.


                                                 Things have moved on a bit since these!

Finding the right bike depends not only on storage and budget but also what sort of cycling you intend to do which from my experience can change!   My introduction to cycling was with a fab group of road cyclists.  But to them it's not about what bike you have it's about the fact you have a bike.  

They allowed me to join them for pootles around town to build up my fitness and whilst I will never be as fit as them I am much fitter than I was! On top of that many of them are now very good friends.  As for the road bike, having handlebars that allow you to drop down over them really improves your aerodynamics and therefore your speed. 




Since my first road bike - and I started off on a recumbent trike but that's another story! - I now have an aluminium Marin and a Brompton.  They are all very different bikes and the one I ride depends on what I am doing and where I am going.  If I was told I could only have one bike I would keep my road bike, but hopefully I'll be allowed to have at least two others!



So once you have an idea of the sort of rides you will be doing, the best piece of advice I can give about choosing a bike is to take advice from others before making your decision.  It's so easy to think you've seen the right bike based on what it looks like but some of the parts - as in components - are better than others. Also, some brands fit you better than others depending on their frame size and shape.




                                                            Friends on their Circe Cycle


A folding bike may seem practical but one that you can leave outside a shop for twenty minutes frees up your hands and is one less thing to carry around the shop.  Folding bikes are also hard work on longer rides so you might be better on a full sized bike to keep your options open as to where you might ride. 




If you have a local bike shop nearby, pop in and have a look.  See what their fitting service is like, how long does it take, (mine took at least an hour), do they measure your sit-bones, do they seem to know what they are talking about, is there another bike shop nearby that can be recommended to you.



                                                                A Recumbenteer


Equally important is the storage and lock you buy.  No lock is thief-proof.  Having two different types (I have one stored on my bike) delays the amount of time it takes the thief to steal it.  Theft insurance is essential, often available through your home insurance. 

You are on your way!

1 comment:

  1. That's clarion and butterfly on their touring tandem, not the Circe. :)

    ReplyDelete