About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Luggage

From handbags to holdalls and panniers to purses the luggage is dependent upon what where you are going and what you need to take with you.


Although this is listed under Accessories for the Bike, in order to assess the sort of luggage you may need here is a reminder of my recommendations for your basic cycling kit.  A pump, a puncture repair kit, tyre levers, allen keys, lights, spare inner tubes, a small rag, a water bottle, an emergency windproof layer, a pair of disposable gloves and a flapjack.  I also have Lypsil, a nail file and a lipstick!

                                 
                                          Proof! My Basic Kit for every time I ride my bike!

Not forgetting my mobile and my house keys!  Beyond that are a myriad of options depending on where you are going and so the requirements change all the time.

When I first started cycling I used to have a very large bumbag in which I kept most of the items shown in My Basic Kit above. For a couple of longer trips I also had a rucksack even though I have always disliked them as they always look scruffy to me.  

Little did I know how much the luggage attached to me rather than my bike was dragging me down and how uncomfortable it was.  I now have 99% of my luggage attached to my bike leaving only a small wallet around my waist for keys, cash and lipstick.   

The range and type of bags available is enormous. There is pretty much a style for everyone.  My collection is a real variety and I tend to swap them about depending on where I am going and what I am wearing - the waist wallet really helps in making sure I don't leave home without my essentials!  


                                               
The main consideration I give the luggage I have bought is how waterproof is it, how big is it and is it easy to fix to my bicycle.                                    



There are a whole range of bags for the handlebars but they can really affect the aerodynamics and the steering of your bike. I put one on my bike and didn't like it.

If you are trying to travel light, small saddlebags for the basic cycle kit mentioned above are another alternative particularly if you are thinking about wearing a cycling top which will have a series of pockets.     





No comments:

Post a Comment