About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Shoes - All Clipped in and Ready to go

Cycling more than five miles often means moving at speed.  Feet suddenly take on a very important role in terms of safety so loose-fitting shoes, delicate strappy sandals or open toed/heeled shoes give very little control and grip for when you need to stop.  

For me, my footwear determines the rest of my wardrobe.  This is probably why I wear cycling leggings because my most favourite footwear on my bike are my cycling shoes. Cleats and SPDs or LOOK enable maximum use of pedal power. They allow me to connect to my bicycle making it part of me.  They also mean I can go faster!

But I cant walk around the office in them all day so I have to take another pair. Or I wear a pair that complements the leggings. For me high heels are not conducive to good cycling and not good for the shoes either so my fave shoes become luggage.



The only alternative I have found are ankle boots with wedge heels rather than heels and ideally have a rubber sole. 

                                               These are from Comptoir des Cotonniers


                                            And these I liked so much I bought two pairs!


If I am cycling in the rain around London I wear Doc Martins or trainers.

For long winter rides when the temperature is below 11 degrees I wear cycling shoes with overshoes which are made specifically to fit.  They are not 100% waterproof but they do add a layer of warmth and protection against rain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment