About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Cycling Tights or Leggings

Whether long, or short I use them as a base layer for my cycling look for any rides longer than five miles.  For me it's all about being comfortable and always in black so that they can look like tights. They are an extremely important item of my cycling wardrobe as they ensure I have a completely comfortable ride on my bicycle.

Padded shorts, longs, 3/4 lengths (ending just below the knee) depend on your shape and how you feel.  I personally look better in 3/4 length rather than shorts but that's just me.

As with all things the prices can vary enormously.  Assos is top of the range and they do bib shorts with leg warmers which means you can cover your legs if the temperature drops.   Castelli 3/4 leggings work best for me in the summer. 


As a Five Mile Cyclist I then wear a dress or skirt over the top.   Clothes manufacturers like H&M and Levis are beginning to make jeans and clothes suitable for cycling in so fingers crossed that this expands to other brands.

For longer than five mile rides the wardrobe changes make things more comfortable.  The advancement in Lycra and Merino allow the body to move without restrictions, managing body temperatures and making the time on the bike about being on the bike and not about fabric malfunctions.

For the autumn and winter on long flat rides when temperatures are below 11 degrees I wear two pairs of full -length leggings, one pair is padded the other isn't.    If the temperature drops to 4 degrees I wear overtrousers on top which not only keep me warm but also keep me dryer in the rain. Mine are made by Gore.  If the ride is hilly I remove the overtrousers before the hill!



1 comment:

  1. I think some nononsense tights would be the way to go instead of the leggings, since I would think those absorb more moisture.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete