About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Accessories for the bike

A Potentially Never Ending Page!

Lights (red at the back of the bike, white at the front)

These are paramount and there are a myriad of options available.  It is not just about seeing where you are going but about being seen by others.  In a town under street lighting there is probably less of a requirement to have laser-burning lights but you do need to be able to see potholes, rubbish, pieces of glass and all the other things that could give you a puncture or bumps and drains which are best avoided.

A dynamo light takes power from your wheel rather than batteries, but this is expensive as you need a special wheel to be built.  A top of the range option worthy of consideration though.  

Battery operated lights require batteries that work.  I keep a spare set of batteries on my bike at all times. I also have two sets of front lights and rear lights on my bike so that I dont end up with no lights.  This may be excessive but I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Unfortunately all lights need to be easily removable because if you are leaving your bicycle outside they will potentially be removed.

Cateye are popular, Exposure are top of the range, I just bought two Moon lights as I like their shape and they are very bright although they need recharging. 



Placing your lights is worth consideration - for example on the seat post is only ok if you never wear long jackets.  Staying visible is crucial.

Computer

If you like to know your mileage, calories, cadence (pedal spins per minute), heart beat or where you've been and where your going there is a computer for it.  I have a basic Cateye on my bikes that tell me the first three above although as part of a fitness drive I now have a Polar FT7 wrist watch which measures my heartbeat. 

Garmin are the number one computers for routes and stats.  They have GPS and are sophisticated computers that can practically put the kettle on!   There are also many Apps on smart phones that offer useful cycling stats but they also drain the power to your phone.  Being contactable is probably more important! 

These are options and not essential.  Lights are essential.

Water Bottle and holder

Dehydration is not good for you.  It is amazing how much water is used by the body when cycling, even moreso on cold days than warmer ones.  Making sure you have and that you drink water on your bike (replaced every day) is another essential.



Mudguards

The one at the front protects the chain from mud and debris on the road.     The one at the back protects your back from mud and debris on the road.  However, if they are not fitted correctly they can cause punctures by rubbing on the tyres and if they come off on a group ride they are extremely hazardous to the people behind you. 

Locks 

These vary in price and security but if a bike thief wants to steal your bike, eventually he/she will.  Adding protective barriers like two locks, keeping it inside, keeping an eye on it if it's on the street will all help.  Your insurance company probably have a minimum recommendation to use.

The police operate a Bike Register which they use as a reference when recovering stolen bikes.  Contact your local police force for details.  

Basic Kit

Spare inner tubes, tyre levers, a pump, a puncture repair kit, a set of allen keys, a lock (or two), a flapjack/dried fruit and nuts/snack, extra layer, disposable gloves


 A Track Pump

This means that you can make sure the pressure in your tyres is exactly what it should be (embossed on the tyres) 










No comments:

Post a Comment