About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Accessories for me

This can be a very expensive section!

The added extras you need for both your wardrobe and your bicycle can go on and on.  For me, starting from the top I wear a helmet.  This can be a heated-debate situation as research does not show conclusively that a helmet is a good thing to wear. Indeed in some cases it has been shown that it can cause more damage than good.   Some people feel quite strongly about this for a whole host of reasons and so I don't recommend voicing an opinion one way or another.   I don't mind what other people do.    I wear one because it's my head.





In the winter and on cooler days I wear a buff - a fabric collar rather like a neck scarf but doesn't come undone.   
 


       It was on this ride to Paris that I learned what hard work it was to cycle with a rucksack!



For long rides I also wear cycling glasses.  These are shaped to stop air and grit from going into my eyes - they are prescription and reactolite.  I need to be able to see road signs and potholes along with my watch and computer without hesitation.  Mine are from Optilabs in Croydon, Surrey who also do mail order.  

I always wear gloves. Always.  In the summer they are fingerless and in the winter Goretex with an extra pair of liners.  





Overshoes for wet or cold rides really make a difference - if you are wearing cycling shoes.  They are not 100% waterproof as eventually, in torrential rain and wet roads your feet will get wet.  But they do make a difference.

Woolen socks also help and in the winter there are a brand Sealskinz which have an internal plastic liner to stop water from getting to your toes.  Again, eventually they will get wet.  Carrying spare socks in the winter or in the wet is a great thing to do, your feet will really appreciate it!  




                             This is what I had to do before I bought my Sealskinz!



Overtrousers are also great for both cold and wet rides. It is amazing how much warmer you are.  In the deep winter days and nights I wear overtrousers all the time, over two pairs of leggings.

Moneybelt - mine is from Runners Need and it means that my most valuable possessions are on me rather than my bike.



 I am sure I will be adding to this page shortly!


No comments:

Post a Comment