About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Monday 6 May 2013

World Champion in the Making - or not!



Mice Log Star Date 126 10.5miles, top speed 16.1mph, average speed 9.4 in 1hr16 on the Brommie.

With the Brompton World Championships 2013  taking place in July at Goodwood and as a member of Team Fridays my Brommie training has begun in earnest! Whenever possible I am on my Brommie.  

However, there was a bit of a revelation yesterday when it was suggested that the Fridays rolling average needs to be 18 miles an hour! 18mph rolling average??! Without cleats? On the Brommie?   

As I am the only girl in the team I worry about how competitive the boys are going to be.   Surely not.  I suggested this to a friend to which the reply was along the lines of "Are you nuts?  Is the pope catholic?" Somehow I am going to have to start pushing my pace - by quite a lot!  And that's apart from the unfolding which some can do in seven seconds!
On top of which apparently we have to wear a jacket and tie??? This is even more worrying than a rolling average of 18mph! A couple of years ago, Brompton did some very dapper shirts as modelled here...

I am happy to say that the 18mph seems to have been something called a joke and I have been reassured that it's about the taking part not the winning...! All in all I think it is going to be a fun day!







1 comment:

  1. What a lovely report and a GORGEOUS photo of the bromie in the rain!

    ReplyDelete