About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Saturday 2 March 2013

Mice Log Day 61


2nd March! 12.5 miles, max speed 20mph, average speed 9mph and apparently I have burnt 802 calories??!  Not sure about that last stat tho'.
A lap or two (well, three) around Hyde Park in cold air but lovely sunshine! Despite the temperature being about 7 degrees there were a lot of peeps in the park. Mainly walking, some cycling and quite a few on skates - even playing hockey!
The large group of skaters were under the helm of a friend who teaches skating. 
I am not sure what the lesson of the day was but there was much pointing the foot upwards - a bit like Telemarking but on skates not skis! 
 
Sometimes in the week I see a DHL courier on a bicycle laden with DHL branded panniers which always gives me hope that some time in the future the majority of deliveries around London will be fuelled by porridge not petrol! Mr DHL was out and about today too - clearly deliveries made at weekends too.


As I was pootling about I found myself being overtaken by a Boris Bike. I can't cope with that - even on the Brommie! I was doing 14mph (the speed I was doing when I was overtaken by a road bike last week!) so I shot up to 18mph and overtook!!


Then I saw something I have never seen before - there is a new way to ride a bike - if only I had caught it on camera.  A chap was sitting on his handlebars and pedalling backwards - clearly on a fixed bike! He was looking over his shoulder to see where he was going as his whole body was facing backwards and he was steering with his butt.  Not something I will be trying anytime soon but quite impressive to see (even if a little odd).
I headed to Old Bond Street to have a quick look at the new collection in one of my favourite shops and was overtaken by a car with a number plate that made me laugh. Tango India Tango Uniform Sierra! 

I cycled past the church where not only my parents were married but also my sister - by the same vicar who came out of retirement for the day! My parents' photos are in black and white and my sisters' are in colour.

Through Grosvenor Square and back into Hyde Park and into Gails Bakery.  I am going to have to stop doing that. The girl behind the counter said "Oh I remember you, you were here on Thursday"!  My addiction to their carrot cake has been noticed!! But it is soooooo delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment