About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Sunday 7 April 2013

Mice Star Date Log 97 A Pootley Sunday London Ride








Sunday 7th April 19.97 miles in 1hr 49 mins. 10.9mph average speed with 22.3 max on the Marin. 

What is it about these rides?  Is it that they really are a pootle? No particular mileage to be covered.  No real destination until someone at the start comes up with an idea? Cycling at conversational pace towards a nearby location for coffees and a chat?  And in fine company?  
Today was no exception.  Except one thing. A friend of mine arrived on his "Is it a Bird? Is it a Bike?" "No. It's a Velomobile."  This is really a recumbent trike in a carbon fibre shell.  It looks like something out of The Wacky Races. (If you are under 28 years old you may have to google that! The Hanna Barbera version). It goes like a rocket with very little effort and supersonically so once its owner gets going.  Unbelievable.



It also causes a bit of a stare.  Members of the public come up and ask to take photos and questions.   It's more of a Velo Celebe than a Velomobeel!

Once autographs had been metaphorically signed (by the VM not by the owner) we decided to head towards Borough. Even on the move people stare.  There was a particularly classic moment when a chap was about to take a photo of his girlfriend who had struck a pose in front of Buckingham Palace.  As the Velomobeel went by the lens left the girlfriend and followed the wheels instead!

Down Birdcage Walk, Parliament Square and onto the Embankment.  Cycling in London on a sunny Sunday is a joy. Total joy.  Along to Blackfriars Bridge and onto Borough. Down to a cafe in Burgess Park, Camberwell.  It was a reality check against Look Mum No Hands which quite frankly has fallen into the outrageous pricing category.  






Coffees and catchups with a few more Velomobeel moments and we were off to Peckham.  TJ Alexander was in charge, apparently he wasn't sure of the route but of course I didn't care. We were on our bikes.  We found our way to another cafe, this one on Peckham Common. Excellent food and drinks. The VM and Andy headed for home whilst TJ and I sat in the sunshine putting the world to rights (metaphorically speaking at least!)





We headed North and went our separate ways.  Over 100 miles cycled in a weekend.  That will do for me!  I love riding my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment