About Me

My photo
Whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, riding a bicycle is more fun than anyone ever told me! My New Year's Resolution to cycle 10 miles a day or 40 minutes on a spin bike has meant that by the end of May I have cycled 2,600 miles! Because of my cycling wardrobe the weather has not stopped me from cycling (unless it really is -5 degrees or with wind gusts of 25 mph). Cycling in style and in comfort is really important to me as I don't really want to be covered in logos looking like a Ninja as I buy groceries or attend meetings. I have found some things that work for me but am always looking for new pieces. For me, Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery for the basics. My two favourite brands for my wardrobe are www.velorution.com and www.velovixen.com but I am always looking for new pieces. I would love to know what works for you and why. Happy cycling!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Have Bike - now what?

A little bit of bike maintenance will keep you moving.

Every day before I ride my bike I check that my tyres are pumped up well (by squeezing them to check they are hard), that both brakes work (by pushing the bike backwards and squeezing the left brake, the right one by push the bike forward and squeezing the right one) and that the chain is working (by turning the pedals).   

Cycling with insufficiently inflated tyres really makes a difference to your ride. For instance it's far less smooth and if you go into a pot hole you really feel it.  Also, pedalling needs much more effort and the lack of air can really damage the wheel itself. 

At some stage punctures will happen. Its just unavoidable. But once you have learned how to fix them you will be amazed how easy it is and how important it is.  Looking after your tyres, checking that there aren't any pieces of stones or glass in them, letting out some air and removing the bits gently with a needle then keeping them pumped up to their maximum pressure (which is embossed  on the tyre not always easy to see but is there!) will make a big difference to how frequently you have what friends call "a Visitation from the P*^*^*^ *Fairy"!!  

If you do have a visitation, stop cycling and put you and your bike on the pavement out of the way of traffic and pedestrians.    It is important to identify what caused the visitation so inspecting the tyre and the tube to find out what caused it and remove the thorn, piece of glass or stone before you fit the new tube will hopefully stop you putting another hole in a replacement tube.  You wont always find something but it is worth looking.  


When I first started cycling I was not keen to learn how to do fix it but a friend of mine knew how important it was so he showed me how to do it.  He then deflated one of my tyres and made me swap inner tubes.  Every time I made a mistake he would make me start again from the beginning!!!  It was hilarious and rather a harsh way to learn but I can now do it and here's the proof:




Rear wheel removed









                      Tube replaced, tyre reinstated and inflated, wheel back on the bike!



You won't need to learn the same was as I did but do learn how to do it.  I also learned that my hands are not strong enough to remove tyres unless they are folding tyres which are more malleable so I only buy folding tyres.

In order to fix a puncture you always need to have with you:
  • a pump
  • a set of tyre levers (to remove the tyre)
  • a spare tube (I carry 2) 
  • a puncture repair kit
  • a rag (to run around the inside of the tyre to find the culprit that caused the deflation)
  • a pair of gloves (I carry a pair of disposable ones) 
  •  
Once you have inflated the tyre as much as you can it is worth looking out for a bike shop some of whom leave a track pump outside their shop so you can inflate the tyre to the correct pressure.




                              Here is another ride I was on where there was a "Visitation"




                                                            And another one!! 


Hopefully this shows how easy they are to fix/replace - in this team of three the chap in red is inspecting the tyre looking for the cause of the puncture, the chap in yellow is looking for the hole in the inner tube and the chap in black and white is pumping air into the tube to help identify where the puncture is.  But you can do these things yourself on your own without any difficulty.  Don'f forget - I can do it so that is proof that it is not that hard!

Most bike shops do bike maintenance course, some local authorities offer them and local cycling groups and clubs can help show you the basics.





No comments:

Post a Comment